Happy Giving Tuesday! Hungover from gluttony Thursday and consumerism Friday? Pop a little antacid of generosity.
To get you started, here are a few folks my family and I give to regularly (and one we’re trying out this year).
I’d love to answer any questions you have about these wonderful organizations or hear what work you’re excited about giving to.
• The Well Family Assistance Center – Providing for the basic needs of families in Spring Hill, TN.
• Nashville Rescue Mission – Serving the homeless and addicted in the greater Nashville area.
• Thistle Farms – Christ-centered rehabilitation and community for survivors of addiction, trafficking and prostitution in the Nashville area.
You can also shop their line of “bath and body” products and apparel at thistlefarms.org/collections
Here’s a moving convincing video about the effectiveness of the ministry going on at Thistle Farms: https://youtu.be/O6nLjGoMAww
• Compassion International – Meeting the physical and spiritual needs of impoverished children in 26 countries through the local church.
You may also purchase life-changing gifts through their Christmas catalog at compassion.com/catalog. And here’s how we’ve gotten our kids involved in this every year.
• Pastors Discipleship Network – If current trends continue, Africa will be the global center of Christianity by 2020. Yet, most pastors in Africa have no theological or ministry training and very few resources. PDN is training and equipping African pastors (and their spouses) to study, practice and teach scripture accurately and effectively.
• International Justice Mission – Rescuing impoverished victims of violence and oppression around the world, restoring survivors of violence to their communities, restraining criminals to prevent further violence, representing survivors in court.
• Preemptive Love – Providing relief to families fleeing war, helping refugees rebuild, providing life-saving medical care for children in conflict zones. (We’re testing this organization out with a one-time gift this year.)
Here’s one example of the kind of thing Preemptive Love is doing: https://youtu.be/zTw0qcu6jYE
Lastly, check out these four easy ways to research a charity before you give (and why it matters).